Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Mini Fallout

Weather conditions such as a strong north wind can force migrating birds out of the air, and some locations are famous for their migrant fallouts, but not my yard.  I noticed a lot of activity Wednesday in the trees and shrubs surrounding my house.  I grabbed my binoculars, sprayed myself head to foot with Deep Woods Off, and headed into the woods.  I found more migrating bird species in 30 minutes than I have ever found anywhere in that time frame.  There was a Chestnut-sided Warbler, Mourning Warbler, four Yellow Warblers, three Tennessee Warblers, four American Redstarts, one Veery, five Swainson’s Thrushes, two Magnolia Warblers, one Common Yellowthroat, two Catbirds, and two Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.   Thank you cool north wind.


This Gray Treefrog was attached to the side of my house.  I guess a house looks just like a big tree to a frog.  They have an ability to camouflage themselves by changing color from gray to green.

No comments:

Post a Comment