Sunday, April 6, 2014

Journey to the Bottoms


I travelled to Central Kansas Saturday in search of new species.  My primary target were Whooping Cranes that have been reported there this week.  I searched the fields around Cheyenne Bottoms and Quivira NWR, and unfortunately, found no cranes.  The south winds must have convinced them to move north.   However, the area did not disappoint for other species.  I found fifteen duck species with the best being a drake Cinnamon Teal at Quivira.  I also found first-of-year (FOY) species which included Barn Swallows, Long-billed Dowitchers, Marbled Godwit, Eared Grebe, Yellow-headed Blackbirds, and Snowy Plovers.  On Sunday, I ventured to Perry Lake and found FOY Chipping Sparrows, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and Red-headed Woodpeckers.  Upon returning home, I was greeted by a singing Louisiana Waterthrush on the creek behind my house.  It was a great week-end to be outside.

A Black-crowned Night-Heron getting some morning sun at Cheyenne Bottoms.
 
A Black-necked Stilt also seen at Cheyenne Bottoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment