Thursday, January 2, 2014

Day Two


It was a cold and cloudy day.  Seemed like a perfect day to go south, at least to Osage and Lyon Counties.  Started at Osage County Fishing Lake, then Melvern Lake, Lyon County State Fishing Lake, and finished up at Pomona Lake.  I added some good new winter birds to the year list.  The best bird of the day… (see photo below, a picture is worth a thousand words).  I also had an unusual visitor to my feeders – a Brown Thrasher.  He should be way south by now.  I hope he survives the current cold snap.

I found this Long-eared Owl at Lyon County State Fishing Lake.  After taking the photo, I was able to back away without the bird flying away.

This cold and hungry Brown Thrasher should be way south of Kansas by now.

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck Glenn. Looking forward to following your quest to 1000

    ReplyDelete