Monday, January 27, 2014

Shawnee County Big Day


Jim Malcom and I did a Big Day for Shawnee County this past Sunday.  A big day is an attempt to find as many species as possible in a 24 hour period.  We finished the day with 71 bird species, and the best were Prairie Falcon, Short-eared Owl, Northern Shrike, Brown Thrasher, Snowy Owl, and Peregrine Falcon.   I also added some new mammal and insect species for the year.  We found several Honey Bees out and about enjoying the 60 degree temperature on Sunday.   

Saturday evening I caught a Deer Mouse in a live trap in my garage.  He was dining on my bird seed stores.  After a short photo session, it was released in some tall grass a short distance from my house.  No more free-loading on the bird seed.  Total species as of January 27 is 103 for the year.
 
Deer Mouse - caught stealing bird seed; sentenced to life outside my garage.

1 comment: